Selecting a Social Security Disability Representative Payee

Phone appointments available
No upfront costs
Call or email us for your free consultation.
No fees unless benefits received.

What is a Representative Payee?

Andrea Pecora & Associates assists with appointing a Social Security Disability representative payee in West Virginia areas and nation wide. Your selection of a representative payee for your Social Security Disability benefits is an important decision. When the disabled person has a representative payee, it allows the payee to receive and manage Social Security Disability benefits. There are two different circumstances in which a representative payee is required:

Benefits Payable to a Minor in West Virginia and Nation Wide

When Social Security Disability benefits are due to a minor in West Virginia or nation wide, or a person who is under the age of 18, a representative payee is appointed to acquire and manage them.

Impaired Judgement or Physically Unable to Manage Funds

If a person is physically or mentally unable to manage his or her own benefits from social security disability due to illness, disease, or other disability, Social Security appoints a representative payee to receive and manage the funds. The recipient can decide to not have a representative payee if their health improves and he or she is able to make sound financial decisions.

To set up an appointment in our Clarksburg, WV office, call us toll free at (855) 224-2244 or (304) 622-1919.

How a Representative Payee Manages
a Recipient’s SSD Benefits

A social security disability representative payee is to be aware of how much money a recipient collects, as well as how much he or she is to spend for certain necessities. While the payee has the right to make the final decision on how funds are spent, the recipient should make his or her opinions known. All payees must record how benefits are spent, and provide a management report to the Social Security Administration every year. When it comes to specific management of social security disability funds, every representative payee is advised to pay for the following items first:




Personal Care Items

Medical Care

Dental Care

Personal Care Items

Medical Care

Dental Care

Leftover Funds from SSD Benefits

Past-due bills, dependent expenses, entertainment, or the improvement of the living environment are options for leftover funds. If there is money left after the payee has paid for all of the previous items, he or she must save it in an account. If you need reliable social security disability services located in West Virginia and serving nation wide, contact Andrea Pecora & Associates in Clarksburg, WV, today!